A Green Card Holder’s Guide to Traveling to Canada

Find out what you need to know before you travel to Canada as a Green Card holder. Get tips on what documentation to bring, what to expect at the border, and more.

Checkout this video:


As a permanent resident of the United States, you may be wondering if you can travel to our northern neighbor, Canada. The short answer is yes, you can! In this guide, we’ll cover what you need to know in order to make the most of your trip.

First, you’ll need a valid passport. If you don’t have one, you can apply for one at your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. You should also make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months after the date of your planned return to the United States.

Next, you’ll need a valid green card. This will serve as your proof of status in the United States and will allow you to enter Canada. If you don’t have a green card, you can apply for one at your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Once you have these two documents, you’re ready to start planning your trip! Here are a few things to keep in mind:

– Canada is a large country with a lot to see and do. Make sure to give yourself enough time to explore everything that interests you!
– Canadians are generally very friendly and welcoming. However, it’s always important to be respectful of other cultures and customs when traveling abroad.
– Canada has a different climate than the United States, so be sure to pack appropriate clothing for the season in which you’ll be visiting.
– There are some regions of Canada that require special permits or visas for entry. Make sure to research any such requirements before traveling.

We hope this guide has been helpful in preparing you for your trip to Canada! Remember, with a little planning and preparation, traveling as a Green card holder is easy and enjoyable – Bon voyage!

Applying for a Temporary Resident Visa

As a green card holder, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada. You can apply for your TRV online or at a Canadian visa office outside of Canada. You will need to provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada and document your ties to your home country. The processing time for TRV applications is usually around eight weeks, but it can take longer.

You can apply for a TRV up to six months in advance of your trip. However, you should apply for your TRV as soon as you know you will be traveling to Canada, since processing times can vary and you may not have enough time to get your TRV if you apply too close to your travel date.

You will need to pay a processing fee when you submit your application for a TRV. Fees are subject to change, so you should check the current fee before applying. You will also need to include biometric information as part of your application. This means that you will need to provide fingerprints and a photo when you apply for your TRV.

What to expect when entering Canada

As a green card holder, you are considered a legal permanent resident of the United States and are therefore allowed to travel to Canada without a visa. However, there are a few things you should know before crossing the border.

First and foremost, you will need to bring your green card as well as a valid passport. You may also be asked to provide proof of ties to the United States, such as a return ticket or proof of employment.

Once you arrive at the Canadian border, you will be required to go through customs and immigration. The processing time can vary depending on the border crossing, but it is generally quick and efficient. You will be asked questions about your trip and may be asked to provide fingerprints and a photo.

Once you have been cleared by customs and immigration, you are free to enjoy all that Canada has to offer! Just remember to carry your green card and passport with you at all times, in case you are asked to show them again.

Things to do before leaving

If you are a green card holder and you plan to travel to Canada, there are a few things you need to do before you leave. First, you need to make sure that your passport is up-to-date and that you have all of the necessary travel documents. You also need to make sure that you have enough money to support yourself during your trip. Finally, you need to make sure that you have a return ticket back to the United States.

Packing for your trip

When you travel to Canada, you will need to make sure that you have the proper documentation and identification. A passport is not required for U.S. citizens, but a valid government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, is needed. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you will need to bring your Green Card. It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your birth certificate.

As for what to pack, it depends on the time of year that you are traveling and the purpose of your trip. If you are going in the winter, you will need to pack warmer clothing, including a coat, hat, and gloves. If you are traveling in the summer, light clothing is generally sufficient. Be sure to pack comfortable shoes as well, as you will do a lot of walking while sightseeing.

Other items to consider packing include: camera, sunscreen, snacks/lunch items, and any medications you might need.

Arriving in Canada

As a permanent resident of the United States, you are free to travel within the country and its territories without carrying a passport. However, if you plan to travel outside of the U.S., you will need to have a passport and other required travel documents. Also, keep in mind that some countries may require that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond your planned date of return.

If you are traveling by plane, you will need to present your passport and permanent resident card to the airline when you check in for your flight. You will also need to show these documents to the immigration officer when you arrive in Canada.

When you enter Canada, an immigration officer will stamp your passport and may ask you some questions, such as:
-What is the purpose of your visit?
-How long do you plan to stay?
-Do you have enough money to support yourself during your stay?
-Where will you be staying?
-Do you have a return ticket?

What to do if you encounter problems

If you encounter problems while traveling to Canada, there are a few things you can do. First, try to resolve the issue with the person or organization you’re having a problem with. If that doesn’t work, you can contact the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service for help. The Trade Commissioner Service is a free service offered by the Government of Canada to Canadian companies and entrepreneurs. They can provide you with information about doing business in Canada, help you solve problems and connect you with Canadian companies and business organizations.

Enjoying your time in Canada

As a green card holder, you are able to travel to Canada for short periods of time. There are a few things you need to keep in mind while you are there, however, to ensure that your stay is enjoyable and hassle-free.

Before you travel, be sure to check the expiry date on your Green card. If it has expired, you will need to renew it before entering Canada. It is also a good idea to have a copy of your green card as well as your passport with you when you travel, just in case you are asked for proof of status.

When you arrive in Canada, you will be asked to fill out a declaration card. This is standard procedure for all visitors and should not cause any delays. On the declaration card, you will be asked about the purpose of your visit, how long you plan to stay in the country, and whether you have any firearms or other weapons with you. Be sure to answer all questions truthfully and accurately.

As a green card holder, you are allowed to work in Canada if you have a valid work permit. However, there are some jobs that are restricted to Canadian citizens and permanent residents only. If you plan to work during your stay in Canada, it is important that you research the requirements beforehand so that you do not run into any problems.

If you are traveling with minors, please note that children under the age of 18 who are traveling alone or with only one parent or legal guardian may need additional documentation such as a notarized letter of consent from the absent parent or guardian. For more information on this, please contact the Canadian embassy or consulate nearest you.

Finally, all visitors to Canada must abide by the country’s laws and regulations. Remember that possession and use of drugs is illegal in Canada, so do not bring any illegal substances into the country with you. Also be aware that Canada has strict laws regarding export of certain goods such as weapons and ivory products. Make sure that you are familiar with these laws before attempting to bring any restricted items into Canada.

Returning home

If you’re a permanent resident of the United States holding a green card, you’re welcome to travel to Canada at any time. However, you will need to present several documents upon your return to the U.S., including your:
-Green card
-I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
-Any other valid travel documents, such as a visa

Further resources

There are many resources available to help you plan your trip to Canada. The websites listed below offer a wealth of information on topics such as what documents you need to enter the country, where to stay, what to see and do, and how to make the most of your visit.

Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship.html

Citizenship and Immigration Canada: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Travel Canada: https://travelcanada.ca/

Scroll to Top