Looking to travel more sustainably? Check out our list of America’s top green travel destinations. From eco-friendly hotels to public transportation options, these cities are perfect for the socially conscious traveler.
Checkout this video:
America’s top green travel destinations
The United States is home to some of the world’s most beautiful natural landscapes, and there are plenty of ways to enjoy them without harming the environment. Here are some of the top green travel destinations in the US:
Acadia National Park, Maine: Acadia National Park is one of the busiest national parks in the country, but that doesn’t mean it’s not also one of the most sustainable. The park has a number of green initiatives in place, including a ban on single-use plastics and a commitment to using renewable energy.
Zion National Park, Utah: Zion National Park is another popular destination that is working hard to be more sustainable. The park has installed solar panels and electric vehicle charging stations, and it offers a variety of programs to help visitors reduce their impact on the environment.
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: The Grand Canyon is one of the most iconic natural wonders in the US, and it’s also one of the most popular tourist destinations. The good news is that there are plenty of ways to enjoy the canyon without harming the environment. There are several companies that offer eco-friendly tours of the area, and there are also many options for camping and hiking in environmentally sensitive areas.
These are just a few of the many great green travel destinations in the US. When planning your next trip, keep sustainability in mind and you’ll be sure to have a vacation that you can feel good about.
The benefits of green travel
There are many benefits to choosing green travel options, whether you’re planning a trip for business or pleasure. By definition, green travel is eco-friendly, sustainable travel that has a positive impact on the environment. Green travel can also refer to cultural tourism that’s sensitive to the needs of local communities.
There are many reasons to choose green travel options. For one, it’s often more affordable than traditional travel because you’re not spending money on things like airfare and accommodations. Green travel is also good for your health, as you’re likely to get more exercise and fresh air when you’re not relying on cars and buses. And finally, green travel is simply better for the environment, as it doesn’t require the use of harmful fossil fuels.
If you’re looking for some great green travel destinations in the United States, here are a few of our favorites:
1. San Francisco – With its numerous public transportation options and commitment to sustainability, San Francisco is a great choice for eco-friendly travelers. Be sure to explore the city’s many hills on foot or by bike!
2. Austin – This rapidly growing city has made tremendous strides in recent years to become more sustainable. From electric cars to solar power, Austin is leading the way in green innovation.
3. Portland – Portland is another US city that’s known for its commitment to sustainability. The city has an extensive public transportation system and is also home to a number of LEED-certified buildings.
The top 10 greenest cities in America
10. Miami, Florida
9. Oakland, California
8. Fort Lauderdale, Florida
7. San Diego, California
6. Washington, D.C.
5. Seattle, Washington
4. Boston, Massachusetts
3. San Francisco, California
2. Portland, Oregon
1. Honolulu, Hawaii
The top 5 greenest states in America
With an ever-growing focus on sustainable living, it’s no surprise that more and more people are looking to travel green. But what are the best green travel destinations in America?
Here are the top 5 greenest states in America, based on their policies and initiatives surrounding renewable energy,greener transportation, and protecting natural resources:
The top 10 eco-friendly hotels in America
Looking for an eco-friendly hotel for your next vacation? Here are 10 of the best green hotels in America, according to TripAdvisor:
1. The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Virginia
2. The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, Oregon
3. Thenex Hotel New York City, New York
4. The Island House, Islamorada, Florida
5. Kimpton Muse Hotel, New York City
6. Aria Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
7. Hotel Paso Del Norte, El Paso, Texas
8. Esperanza Resort & Spa, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
9. The Ritz-Carlton New York Central Park, New York City
10. 21c Museum Hotel Nashville, Tennessee
The top 10 sustainable restaurants in America
With an increasing focus on sustainability, many restaurants are working to reduce their environmental impact. Here are 10 of the most sustainable restaurants in America, which are leading the way in sustainable practices.
1. Blue Hill at Stone Barns – Pocantico Hills, New York
2. Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch – St. Helena, California
3. Gabriel Rucker’s Le Pigeon – Portland, Oregon
4. Linger – Denver, Colorado
5. Neal ExpandWise’s Fremont Diner – Occidental, California
6. Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station – New York City, New York
7. Saison – San Francisco, California
8. Spoonbar – Healdsburg, California
9. The Herbfarm – Woodinville, Washington
10. Zingerman’s Roadhouse – Ann Arbor, Michigan
The top 10 green travel activities
Whether you’re looking to explore the great outdoors or take a stroll through a nature preserve, there are plenty of eco-friendly travel destinations across the United States that will allow you to enjoy all that nature has to offer without harming the environment. Here are 10 of the best green travel destinations in America:
1. Zion National Park – Utah
2. The Everglades – Florida
3. Olympic National Park – Washington
4. Yellowstone National Park – Wyoming, Montana, Idaho
5. Redwood National and State Parks – California
6. Zion National Park – Utah
7. Acadia National Park – Maine
8. Grand Canyon National Park – Arizona
9. Glacier National Park – Montana
10. Great Smoky Mountains National Park – North Carolina, Tennessee
The top 10 green transportation options
As much as travelers would love to completely avoid air travel, the reality is that sometimes it’s the only option. If you find yourself needing to take a plane, there are a few things you can do to make sure your impact is minimized.
First, consider flying direct whenever possible — that cuts down on fuel consumption. If you have to make a stop, choose an airport that’s close to your final destination so you can avoid unnecessary taxi or rental car use. And when booking, look for airlines that offset their carbon emissions.
Of course, the best way to reduce your impact while traveling is to take ground transportation. below are 10 of the best green transportation options for getting around America:
1. – Amtrak’s long-distance trains are powered by electricity, which comes from a mix of nuclear, hydro, coal, and natural gas sources. The company claims its trains are four times more energy-efficient than aircraft and produce 70% less carbon dioxide than cars and trucks.
2. – Like Amtrak, Greyhound buses run on electricity generated from a mix of sources. The company is working on transitioning its fleet to biodiesel fuel made from used cooking oil — a move that would cut emissions by up to 80%.
3. – Carshare programs allow members to borrow vehicles for short trips around town (think Zipcar or Car2Go). This is a great option if you need a car occasionally but don’t want the hassle or expense of owning one yourself. Carsharing reduces traffic and parking demands, and because users pay by the hour or mile, it encourages people to drive more efficiently.
4. – Bike-sharing systems are popping up in cities all over the country (see: Capital Bikeshare in DC/Arlington/Alexandria or Citi Bike in New York City). For short trips around town, they can’t be beat — just hop on a bike and drop it off at any station when you’re done. You don’t have to worry about chain maintenance, parking, or getting sweaty in traffic!
5. – Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming increasingly popular as prices come down and charging infrastructure improves. If you own an EV or are considering buying one, be sure to take advantage of tax credits and rebates that may be available in your state. Check out this website from Plug In America for more information on federal and state incentives for EVs.
6. – Remember those? They’re making a comeback as a fun way to get some exercise while getting around town (and they don’t require any fossil fuels!). Rollerblading or skating is also relatively easy to learn — give it a try!
The top 10 greenest travel destinations outside of America
1. Costa Rica
3. New Zealand
The benefits of sustainable tourism
Sustainable tourism is responsible travel that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people.
The concept of sustainable tourism developed in the 1980s, in response to increasing concern about the negative social and environmental impacts of mass tourism.
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the destination and host communities”.
There are many benefits of sustainable tourism, both for businesses and for destinations.
Sustainable tourism can:
– Generate new economic opportunities for local communities, including employment and entrepreneurship opportunities for women and youth;
– Increase visitors’ spend in the local economy;
– Strengthen social cohesion and community spirit;
– Help preserve cultural heritage and traditional livelihoods;
– Improve environmental management of natural areas;
– Contribute to climate change mitigation.