- What is American Green Travel?
- The Top Destinations for Eco-Friendly Travel
- The Benefits of Eco-Friendly Travel
- How to Make Your Travel More Eco-Friendly
- Tips for Planning an Eco-Friendly Vacation
- The Top Green Hotels and Resorts
- The Top Eco-Friendly Tour Operators
- The Top Sustainable Travel Destinations
- How to offset your carbon footprint while traveling
American Green Travel is the leading resource for eco-friendly travel and green living. We offer tips and advice on the best destinations for eco-friendly travel, as well as news and features on sustainable travel and green living.
Checkout this video:
As more and more people are becoming aware of the importance of sustainable living, eco-friendly travel is on the rise. There are a number of reasons why someone might choose to travel green – to reduce their carbon footprint, to support local economies, or simply to enjoy beautiful scenery in a way that doesn’t harm the environment.
Whatever your reason for wanting to travel sustainably, there are plenty of options available. Here are some of the best destinations in the United States for eco-friendly travel.
What is American Green Travel?
American Green Travel is a site that is dedicated to helping eco-friendly travelers find the best destinations for their vacation. We believe that green travel should be easy and accessible to everyone, so we have put together a list of the top destinations for eco-friendly travel in the United States.
We know that not everyone has the same definition of what “green travel” means, so we have included a variety of destinations that offer different levels of eco-friendly accommodations and activities. Whether you are looking for a hotel that is certified green or a city that offers electric car charging stations, we have you covered.
So whether you are looking to offset your carbon footprint or simply want to find the most eco-friendly way to travel, be sure to check out our list of the top destinations for American Green Travel.
The Top Destinations for Eco-Friendly Travel
The United States is a big country with a lot to offer in terms of eco-friendly travel destinations. Here are some of the top places to visit if you’re looking for an eco-friendly vacation:
1. The Grand Canyon, Arizona – One of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Grand Canyon is a must-see for any traveler. The best way to see it is by taking a guided tour on foot or by mule.
2. Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming – America’s first national park, Yellowstone is home to an abundance of wildlife including bears, wolves, bison and elk. Visitors can take part in ranger-led programs or go on their own hikes and wildlife watching excursions.
3. Acadia National Park, Maine – Acadia is one of the most popular national parks in the country and offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation such as hiking, biking, kayaking and sailing.
4. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee/North Carolina – Straddling the border between Tennessee and North Carolina, the Great Smoky Mountains are one of the most biodiverse regions in North America with over 10,000 species of plants and animals. Visitors can enjoy hiking, camping, fishing and horseback riding in this beautiful setting.
5. Yosemite National Park, California – One of the most iconic national parks in the US, Yosemite is known for its dramatic landscape featuring peaks such as El Capitan and Half Dome as well as its waterfalls, meadows and forests. There are plenty of activities on offer here including hiking, rock climbing and rafting.
The Benefits of Eco-Friendly Travel
Eco-friendly travel is not only good for the environment, but it can also be a great way to save money. Here are some of the benefits of eco-friendly travel:
1. You’ll save money on fuel costs.
2. You’ll reduce your carbon footprint.
3. You’ll be able to enjoy the scenery more without worrying about the pollution caused by car exhaust fumes.
4. You’ll be able to explore more off the beaten path destinations that may not be as accessible by car.
5. You’ll meet like-minded people who are also interested in protecting the environment.
How to Make Your Travel More Eco-Friendly
It’s no secret that flying and other forms of travel can be hard on the environment. But there are a number of things you can do to offset your carbon footprint and make your travel more eco-friendly.
Here are a few tips:
– Choose eco-friendly transportation options whenever possible. This includes walking, biking, taking public transportation, and carpooling.
– Stay in eco-friendly accommodations. Look for hotels and resorts that have earned green certifications for their environmentally friendly practices.
– Eat local foods to reduce your carbon footprint. Make an effort to patronize restaurants that source their ingredients locally.
– Buy souvenirs that are made sustainably and have a low environmental impact. Shop at local markets rather than chain stores, and look for items made from recycled materials.
– offset your carbon footprint by purchasing carbon offsets or investing in green energy projects.
Tips for Planning an Eco-Friendly Vacation
When most people think of planning a vacation, they don’t often consider the environmental impact of their travel. However, more and more travelers are beginning to consider the ecological footprint of their travel plans. If you’re looking to plan an eco-friendly vacation, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
First, research your destination to see what kind of eco-friendly initiatives they have in place Many cities and towns now offer recycling programs, composting options, and even electric vehicle charging stations. If your destination is lacking in these options, you may want to look into other places to travel.
Second, seek out accommodation options that are eco-friendly. This can include hotels or rental properties that have been certified green by an organization like LEED or Travelocity Green Globe. You can also look for lodging that uses solar power, recycled materials, or other sustainable practices.
Finally, be sure to offset your carbon emissions from flying or driving by investing in carbon offsets. There are many different programs available that allow you to do this, and it’s a great way to mitigate the impact of your travel on the environment.
The Top Green Hotels and Resorts
As the global community grows more conscientious of its impact on the environment, travelers are looking for eco-friendly options that will allow them to enjoy their vacations without harming the planet. If you’re looking for sustainable accommodations, here are some of the best green hotels and resorts in the United States:
The Inn at Orcas Island – Orcas Island, Washington
This inn is powered by renewable energy and uses organic, locally sourced ingredients in its restaurant. Guests can enjoy hike and bike trails, kayaking, and whale watching – all while knowing that their stay is contributing to a greener planet.
The brand-new SANDBOX Hotel – San Diego, California
SANDBOX Hotel was built using sustainable materials and practices, with a focus on water and energy conservation. The hotel also offers an electric vehicle charging station for guests who want to explore San Diego in a environmentally friendly way.
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort – Farmington, Pennsylvania
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is committed to sustainable operations, with a goal of being carbonneutral by 2025. The resort features solar panels, an organic garden, an on-site recycling center, and electric car charging stations. Guests can participate in educational programs about sustainability during their stay.
The Greenwich Hotel – New York City, New York
The Greenwich Hotel was designed with sustainable building practices in mind. It features a rainwater harvesting system that recycles greywater for use in the hotel’s gardens, as well as motion sensor lights and low-flow fixtures to conserve energy.
The Top Eco-Friendly Tour Operators
When it comes to eco-friendly tour operators, there are many companies that provide sustainable and responsible travel experiences. Here are 10 of the best:
-Mountain Medics: This company offers first aid and Wilderness rescue courses in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
-Natural Habitat Adventures: Offers small group adventures to some of the world’s most pristine destinations, including the Galapagos Islands, Alaska and African wildlife safaris.
-REI Adventures: A leader in adventure travel, REI offers more than 140 different trips in 40 countries around the world.
-Sierra Club Outings: One of the oldest outdoor clubs in America, Sierra Club offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping and backpacking trips.
-Global Wonders: This company specializes in customized eco-travel experiences to destinations such as Machu Picchu, Easter Island and the Galapagos Islands.
-Responsible Travel: An online booking platform for sustainable tourism, Responsible Travel works with more than 1,100 tour operators around the world.
– Undiscovered Mountains: This Canadian company specializes in off-the-beaten path mountain adventures in British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon.
– Gane and Marshall: This UK-based company offers a range of walking and trekking holidays in Europe, Asia and Africa.
– Greenloons: Greenloons is a green travel agency that offers sustainable travel packages to destinations around the world.
The Top Sustainable Travel Destinations
The United States is a big country with a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty, culture, and history. It’s also a great place to travel if you’re looking for sustainable and eco-friendly travel options. Here are some of the top sustainable destinations in the US:
-San Francisco, California: This beautiful city by the bay is known for its commitment to sustainability. Visit popular tourist spots like the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, or explore one of the many green spaces in the city.
-Portland, Oregon: Another West Coast city with a strong focus on sustainability, Portland is a great place to visit if you’re looking for eco-friendly travel options. The city has an extensive public transportation system and is also home to a variety of green businesses and organizations.
– Boulder, Colorado: This picturesque city in the Rocky Mountains is a great destination for both outdoor enthusiasts and those interested in sustainable living. Boulder is home to a number of green businesses and organizations, as well as a variety of outdoor activities.
– Minneapolis, Minnesota: This Midwestern city is known for its cold winters, but it’s also a great destination for sustainable travel. Minneapolis has an extensive public transportation system and is home to a number of green businesses and organizations.
How to offset your carbon footprint while traveling
In 2019, more than 1 in 10 American adults took an eco-friendly trip, according to the U.S. Travel Association’s2019 Sustainable Tourism Report.
Eco-friendly travelers are those who are interested in traveling in a way that is sustainable and leaves a minimal impact on the environment. This can mean offsetting your carbon footprint while traveling, choosing environmentally friendly transportation options, or staying in eco-friendly accommodations.
There are many ways to make your vacation more environmentally friendly — and you don’t have to sacrifice luxury or comfort to do so. Here are some of the top eco-friendly travel destinations in the United States:
1. The Florida Keys
2. San Francisco, California
3. Olympic National Park, Washington
4. NYC & Long Island, New York