Can Green Card Holders Travel to Italy?

Green card holders are able to travel to Italy without a visa for stays of up to 90 days. Learn more about the requirements and process for traveling to Italy as a green card holder.

Checkout this video:


If you are a green card holder, you are legally allowed to travel to Italy without a visa for stays of up to 90 days. This applies to all types of green cards, including those that are employment-based, family-based, and diversity lottery.

Applying for a Green Card:

Applying for a Green Card:

The first step in applying for a Green Card is to determine whether you are eligible. You may be eligible if you have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or if you have been granted refugee or asylum status.

If you are eligible, you will need to file an application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application will require you to provide evidence of your eligibility, as well as information about your background and circumstances.

Once your application is approved, you will be issued a Green Card. This card will allow you to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. If you wish to travel outside the United States, you will need to obtain a passport from your country of citizenship.

The Green Card Lottery:

The Green Card Lottery is a program that allows people from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States to apply for a U.S. Green Card. It is also known as the Diversity Visa Lottery. The lottery is open to citizens of countries that have had fewer than 50,000 immigrants to the United States in the past 5 years.

People who are selected in the lottery (“winners”) are chosen at random by a computer program. Winners are notified by mail, and they can then apply for a Green Card.

To be eligible for the lottery, you must meet certain requirements. For example, you must have a high school education or its equivalent, or have work experience in an occupation that requires at least 2 years of training or experience. You can learn more about the requirements on the State Department’s website.

If you are selected in the lottery, you will first need to go through an interview with a consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate before you can receive your Green Card.

Green Card Eligibility:

To be eligible for a green card, you must be a foreign national who meets one of the following criteria:
-You have been sponsored by a family member who is a U.S. citizen or green card holder
-You have been sponsored by an employer in the United States
-You are a refugee or asylee who has been granted refugee status or asylum in the United States
-You are a victim of human trafficking or domestic violence

How to Renew or Replace Your Green Card:

If your green card expires, you can renew or replace it as long as you are eligible. If your card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can also replace it. You will need to submit a new application and go through the process again.

It is important to keep your green card up to date and in good condition. You should carry it with you whenever you travel outside the United States. If you are stopped by law enforcement, they may ask to see it.

If your green card expires, you can renew it by mail or in person at your local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. You will need to fill out an application and submit it along with the appropriate fee. USCIS will then review your application and decide whether to approve or deny your request.

If you areReplacing a Green Card:
Ifyouneedtoreplacealost,stolen,ordamagedgreencard,youwillneedtosubmit Form I-90to USCIS. This form is used for both renewals and replacements. You will need to include a photo with your application and pay the appropriate fee

After You Get Your Green Card:

You may leave the United States and return any time after you receive your Green Card. When you return, you must show a valid Green Card and a valid passport.

What You Can Do with Your Green Card:

A Green Card permits the holder to live and work permanently in the United States. If you have a Green Card, you can:
-Travel outside the United States and return
-Apply for a driver’s license
-Apply for a Social Security number
-Register to vote
-Obtain certain government benefits

Traveling Outside the United States with your green card

As a permanent resident or green card holder, you are free to travel outside the United States, but there are a few things to keep in mind. If you plan to be outside the country for more than a year, you will need to get a reentry permit. If you will be gone for more than two years, you may need to apply for a returning resident visa. And if you are gone for more than six months, you will need to get a new green card when you return.

You should also make sure your passport is up to date and that you have all the necessary visas for the countries you plan to visit. When you return to the United States, be sure to have your green card and passport with you, as well as proof of ties to the United States, such as a job or family.

Losing Your Green Card:

Losing your Green Card can have severe implications. If you are a permanent resident (Green Card holder) and you leave the United States for more than one year, you will be regarded as having abandoned your status. You will be expected to obtain a new immigrant visa if you wish to return to the United States. If you do not obtain a new immigrant visa, you will not be allowed to board a plane bound for the United States.

Applying for U.S. Citizenship:

U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization
You may apply for U.S. citizenship through the process of naturalization if you meet certain requirements set forth by U.S. immigration law. In general, you must:

-Be 18 years of age or older at the time you file your application
-Have been a permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years (or 3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen)
-Have lived in the state or USCIS district where you plan to apply for at least 3 months before your application is filed
-Be able to read, write and speak basic English
-Have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics)
-Be a person of good moral character

Scroll to Top