Green Card Holders: What You Need to Know About Travel Taxes in the Philippines

Green Card Holders are taxed differently than Philippine citizens when it comes to travel. Here’s what you need to know to make sure you’re not overpaying.

Checkout this video:

Introduction: Green Card Holders and Travel Taxes in the Philippines

As a green card holder, you are considered a legal permanent resident of the United States. This means that you have the right to live and work in the United States indefinitely. You also have the right to travel freely within the United States and its territories. However, if you travel outside of the United States, you may be subject to travel taxes when you return.

The Philippines is one of many countries that imposes travel taxes on its citizens and legal residents who leave the country for business or pleasure. The travel tax is a departure tax that must be paid before you can leave the Philippines. The tax is currently PHP 1,620 (about USD 32) for economy class travelers and PHP 2,700 (about USD 54) for first class travelers.

In addition to the travel tax, green card holders who are also Philippine citizens may also be subject to an exit fee of PHP 200 (about USD 4). This fee is imposed on all Philippine citizens regardless of their immigration status.

If you are a green card holder who is also a Philippine citizen, you will need to pay both the travel tax and the exit fee before you can depart from the Philippines. However, if you are a green card holder who is not a Philippine citizen, you will only need to pay the travel tax.

It is important to note that green card holders who are not Philippine citizens may be exempt from paying the travel tax if they meet certain criteria. For example, if you are traveling on a diplomatic or official passport, you will not be required to pay the travel tax. Additionally, if you are traveling for medical reasons or if you are accompanying a minor child who is traveling alone, you may also be exempt from paying the travel tax.

If you have any questions about whether or not you will be required to pay the travel tax or exit fee when traveling to the Philippines, it is best to consult with a qualified immigration attorney prior to your trip.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an identification card that proves that you are a legal permanent resident of the United States. If you have a Green Card, you can live and work in the U.S. indefinitely. You can also apply for U.S. citizenship after five years of living in the country as a Green Card holder.

Who is Eligible for a Green Card?

To be eligible for a green card, you must be a foreign national who meets one of the following criteria:

You have been lawfully admitted to the United States as a permanent resident;
You have been granted conditional permanent resident status;
You are a foreign national who has been granted asylum or refugee status; or
You are a national of certain designated countries with which the United States has entered into special programs.

Applying for a Green Card

Material possessions are taxed when you move them across international borders, but did you know that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) also taxes certain individuals for traveling to America? These travel taxes primarily affect two groups of people: those who are moving to the U.S. permanently (green card holders) and those who are temporarily stationed in the country for work or schooling (non-resident aliens).

If you’re in either of these categories, it’s important to understand how travel taxes work so that you can plan accordingly. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about travel taxes for green card holders entering the United States.

As a general rule, all green card holders are considered taxable residents of the United States and are required to file a federal income tax return each year. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Green card holders who meet any of the following criteria are exempt from filing a federal income tax return:

-Those who were physically present in the U.S. for less than 183 days during the tax year
-Those who pass the “green card test” but fail the “substantial presence test”
-Certain diplomats and other officials
-Certain students, business apprentices, and other trainees

Even if you meet one of the above exceptions and are not required to file a federal income tax return, you may still be required to pay taxes on income earned from sources within the United States. For example, if you worked in the U.S. for part of the year and earned wages, you would still be responsible for paying taxes on those wages even if you were physically present in the country for less than 183 days.

Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card

If you are a green card holder, you are required to have a valid green card at all times. If your green card expires, it is important that you renew or replace it as soon as possible.

The process of renewing or replacing your green card is generally the same, regardless of whether your card has expired or been lost or stolen. You will need to submit an application, along with supporting documentation, to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be issued a new green card. The new card will be valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.

It is important to note that if you are outside of the United States when your green card expires, you will need to apply for a reentry permit before you can return to the United States. A reentry permit is valid for two years and allows you to leave and return to the United States multiple times during that period.

What Are the Rights and Responsibilities of a Green Card Holder?

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

The steps to becoming a Green Card holder are:

1. Have a sponsoring family member or employer in the United States.
2. Apply for permanent residence through USCIS and attend an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
3. Once approved, receive your Green Card in the mail and pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee if you are between 14 and 79 years of age.
4. After you receive your Green Card, you may travel outside the United States and re-enter using your Green Card.
If your Green Card is lost or stolen while you are outside the United States, you should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance in replacing it. You will need to provide proof of your identity and residency, as well as show evidence that your card was lost or stolen, such as a police report

Travel Taxes for Green Card Holders in the Philippines

As a green card holder, you are considered a legal permanent resident of the United States and are thus subject to the travel tax requirements of the Philippines. The travel tax is PHP 1,620 for first-class or business-class passengers and PHP 850 for economy-class passengers. The travel tax must be paid prior to boarding your flight to the Philippines.

If you are traveling on a one-way ticket, you will also be required to pay an additional departure tax of PHP 1,620. This tax must be paid in cash at the airport prior to your departure.

Please note that these taxes are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date information, please check with the Embassy of the Philippines in Washington, D.C. or with your airline prior to travel.

How to Pay Travel Taxes in the Philippines

As a green card holder, you are considered a legal resident of the United States and are therefore subject to the same tax laws as U.S. citizens. This includes travel taxes, which are imposed on all individuals who leave the country by air.

Travel taxes in the Philippines are paid at the airport upon departure. The tax is PHP1,620 for economy class tickets and PHP2,040 for business and first class tickets. There is also a “Doomsday Tax” of PHP550 per person for those who leave the country on December 31st or January 1st.

You can pay your travel taxes in cash or with a credit card at the airport counter before boarding your flight. If you are paying with cash, be sure to have Philippine pesos on hand as other currencies will not be accepted.

Exemptions from Travel Taxes in the Philippines

As a green card holder, you may be exempt from travel taxes when you enter the Philippines if you meet certain conditions. To be eligible for the exemption, you must:

-Be a holder of a foreign passport;
-Have a valid immigrant visa or permanent resident card;
-Be a holder of a multiple-entry visa that is valid for at least one year;
-Be entering the Philippines for purposes of business, investment, study, training, or attendance in conventions, conferences, or seminars;
-Have proof of onward travel; and
-Not have been granted exemption from travel taxes in the past two years.


The Philippines imposes travel taxes on all foreign nationals departing from the country. However, green card holders are exempt from this tax. If you are a green card holder, you will need to show your green card and passport to the customs officer when you leave the Philippines.

Scroll to Top