Green Card Holders Can Now Travel to Canada by Air

As of June 10, 2019, green card holders are now able to travel to Canada by air. This is great news for those who have been wanting to visit our Northern neighbor but were previously unable to do so. If you’re a green card holder, be sure to take advantage of this new opportunity and plan a trip to Canada today!

Checkout this video:


As of June 1, 2017, certain green card holders are now able to travel to Canada by air. This is thanks to a new rule put in place by the Canadian government. Under the new rule, eligible green card holders will no longer need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada.

This is good news for many people who have been unable to travel to Canada in the past due to the hassle and expense of applying for a TRV. It also brings Canada’s policies more in line with those of other countries, such as the United States and Australia, which have similar visa requirements for green card holders.

If you are a green card holder and you’re thinking of traveling to Canada in the near future, there are a few things you need to know before you go. First and foremost, you will need to make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements for this new program. Secondly, even though you won’t need a TRV, you will still need a valid passport and green card when entering Canada.

Eligible Green Card Holders
To be eligible for the new rule, you must be a permanent resident of the United States with a valid Green Card. You must also have been issued a Green Card on or after February 6, 2017. If your Green Card was issued before this date, you will not be eligible for the program and will need to apply for a TRV if you want to travel to Canada.

Other eligibility requirements include:
-Not being inadmissible to Canada on criminal or security grounds; and
-Meeting all other entry requirements, such as having a valid passport.


To be eligible to travel to Canada by air, you must:

-have a valid Green Card
-have a valid passport
-have a confirmed ticket for travel to Canada

Applying for a Travel Document

If you are a green card holder, you may be eligible to apply for a travel document that will allow you to enter Canada by air.

To be eligible, you must:

-Be a permanent resident of the United States
-Have a valid green card
-Have a passport from your country of citizenship

If you meet the above criteria, you can apply for a travel document by filling out an application and submit it to the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy.

What to Expect When Arriving in Canada

As a green card holder, you may travel to Canada by air without a visa if you meet certain requirements. When you arrive in Canada, an immigration officer will ask to see your passport and green card. The officer will also ask you questions about the purpose of your visit.

You may be asked to provide proof of your ties to the United States, such as a:
-letter from your employer
-recent pay stub
-rental agreement
-bank statement
You may also be asked about your travel plans, including where you will be staying and how long you plan to stay in Canada. The officer will determine if you can enter Canada based on the information you provide. If you are allowed to enter, the officer will stamp your passport and give you a paper that indicates the date by which you must leave Canada.

Changes to the Entry Process

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa. If you have a valid study or work permit, or you are traveling on business, you do not need an eTA.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals include those from Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

The leniency period for the new entry requirement ends soon. Starting September 29, 2016, all visa-exempt foreign nationals (apart from U.S. citizens and other specified exceptions) will need an eTA before they can fly to Canada.


Q: Do I need a visa to travel to Canada?
A: No. As of May 2017, visa-exempt foreign nationals who have a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) can fly to Canada.

Q: How do I get an eTA?
A: You can apply for an eTA online. The process is simple and takes just a few minutes. You will need a valid passport, credit or debit card, and email address.

Q: How long is my eTA valid for?
A: Your eTA is valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA.

Q: How much does an eTA cost?
A: An eTA costs CAD$7 per person. Payment can be made using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.


As of August 1, 2019, all U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) can travel to Canada by air with a valid passport. This change applies to all modes of air travel, including commercial airlines, private planes, and charter flights. It is important to note that this change does not affect land or sea travel between the United States and Canada.

Scroll to Top