It’s never too early to start planning your next adventure! Check out our list of the top 10 green travel destinations for 2021.
Checkout this video:
We are now entering a new decade, and with that comes the opportunity for a new beginning. If you’re looking to start the 2020s off on the right foot, why not consider making some eco-friendly resolutions? One way to do that is to plan your travel around the world with sustainability in mind.
Here are 10 of the best green travel destinations to put on your radar for 2021:
1. Finland – Finland was recently named the most sustainable country in the world, and it’s easy to see why. With its large percent of unspoiled natural landscapes, focus on renewable energy, and commitment to tackling climate change, Finland is leading the way in sustainable travel.
2. New Zealand – New Zealand’s spectacular scenery – think glaciers, fiords, and rainforests – make it a top destination for eco-conscious travelers. The country is also working hard to reduce its environmental impact, with a goal of being carbon neutral by 2025.
3. Norway – like Finland, Norway is another Nordic nation that is setting a strong example in sustainable tourism. In 2019, Norway became the first country in the world to offer free public transport in its capital city, Oslo, in an effort to reduce car use and pollution.
4. Chile – Chile’s stunning Patagonia region is one of the most popular destinations for outdoor enthusiasts and eco-travelers alike. The country is also home to some of the largest protected areas of wilderness in the world, including Torres del Paine National Park and Isla Navarino Nature Reserve.
5. Costa Rica – Costa Rica has long been a favorite destination for those looking for an eco-friendly vacation. The small Central American country is home to rainforests, volcanoes, beaches, and Wildlife – all of which can be enjoyed without harming the environment.
6. Portugal – Portugal is quickly becoming one of Europe’s top green travel destinations due to its impressive commitment to sustainability. The country has set ambitious goals to become entirely carbon-neutral by 2050 and has already achieved some impressive milestones; including banning plastic bags and phasing out coal-fired power plants
Costa Rica is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, and its commitment to eco-tourism make it a top destination for those looking to travel green. With more than 25% of the country designated as national parks or reserves, there are plenty of opportunities to get up close and personal with Costa Rica’s lush jungle landscapes and diverse wildlife. From zip-lining through the rainforest canopy to soaking in natural hot springs, there’s something for every adventurer in Costa Rica.
If you’re looking to take your green travel up a notch, consider staying at one of Costa Rica’s many sustainable lodges or ecolodges. These accommodations are designed with the environment in mind, and often use locally sourced materials and renewable energy. Many also support local conservation efforts and community development projects. So not only will you be enjoying a pristine natural setting on your vacation – you’ll also be supporting sustainable tourism initiatives that benefit the local community.
Belize is a Central American country located on the northeastern coast of the continent. It is bordered by Mexico to the north, Guatemala to the west, and the Caribbean Sea to the east. Belize has a population of approximately 400,000 people and covers an area of 8,867 square miles. The country’s terrain is mostly flat with some hills and low mountains. The climate is tropical with average temperatures ranging from 68 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
Belize is a popular travel destination for eco-conscious travelers due to its commitment to sustainable tourism practices. Located in the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor, Belize is home to a diverse array of plant and animal species. The country has over 500 species of birds, 125 species of mammals, 60 species of reptiles, and 35 species of amphibians. It also has the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere which is home to a wide variety of marine life including sharks, rays, eels, and dolphins.
In an effort to protect its natural resources, Belize has established several national parks and reserves including the Blue Hole Natural Monument, Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve, and Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. Travelers can enjoy activities such as hiking, bird watching, cave tubing, snorkeling, and diving while visiting these protected areas.
Mexico is a top destination for green travelers. With its stunning beaches, lush jungles, and rich culture, it’s no wonder why. Mexico is also home to some of the world’s best eco-lodges and sustainable hotels, making it the perfect place to enjoy a eco-friendly vacation. Here are some of the best green travel destinations in Mexico:
1. Tulum – Tulum is a beautiful coastal town in Mexico that is known for its pristine beaches and lush jungle setting. It’s also home to some of the best eco-lodges in the country, making it the perfect place to enjoy a sustainable vacation.
2. Palenque – Palenque is a beautiful Maya ruin site that is surrounded by lush jungle. It’s one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mexico and is also one of the most sustainable.
3. Isla Mujeres – Isla Mujeres is a small island off the coast of Mexico that is known for its beautiful beaches and relaxed atmosphere. It’s also home to many eco-friendly hotels and resorts, making it the perfect place to enjoy a green vacation.
4. Puerto Escondido – Puerto Escondido is a small town on the Pacific Coast of Mexico that is known for its surf culture and relaxed atmosphere. It’s also one of the most sustainable tourist destinations in the country, with many eco-friendly hotels and resorts to choose from.
5. Oaxaca – Oaxaca is a beautiful city in southern Mexico that is known for its colonial architecture and rich culture. It’s also one of the most sustainable tourist destinations in Mexico, with many eco-friendly hotels and resorts to choose from.
6. Mazunte – Mazunte is a small town on the Pacific Coast of Mexico that is known for its turtle conservation efforts and beautiful beaches. It’s also one of the most sustainable tourist destinations in Mexico, with many eco-friendly hotels and resorts to choose from.
Ecuador is often called the “land of fire and ice” because it’s home to both the Amazon rainforest and the Galapagos Islands. The country is also one of the most biodiverse in the world, with more than 1,600 species of birds and over 10,000 species of plants.
In 2021, Ecuador will celebrate 50 years since the creation of the Galapagos National Park, which was established to protect the unique wildlife of the islands. Visitors can only travel to certain areas of the park by boat, so there are plenty of opportunities to get up close to animals like giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly vacation, there are few better places than Ecuador. Visitors can stay in eco-lodges, take part in volunteer programs, and go on nature hikes through some of the most beautiful scenery in South America.
From its colonial cities to its rainforest jungles and Inca ruins, Peru is a land of immense culture and natural beauty. Sustainable tourism is on the rise in this South American country, with an increasing number of hotels and tour operators offering eco-friendly options for visitors.
Here are some of the top sustainable travel destinations in Peru:
2. Machu Picchu
3. Lake Titicaca
4. The Amazon Rainforest
5. The Sacred Valley of the Incas
6. Colca Canyon
9. Paracas National Reserve
10. Chan Chan
Chile is a South American country known for its dramatic landscapes. It offers tourists a wide range of activities, from trekking and mountain biking to skiing and kayaking.
Chile is also home to a number of green travel destinations, including national parks, reserves, and sustainable tourism initiatives. Here are 10 of the best green travel destinations in Chile for 2021:
1. Torres del Paine National Park
2. Atacama Desert
3. Easter Island
4. Isla de Pascua National Park
5. Greater Valdivia Area
6. Los Rios Region
7. Chilean Patagonia
8. Juan Fernandez Islands National Park
9. Cabo de Hornos Biosphere Reserve
10. Santiago Metropolitan Region
Argentina is a top pick for eco-conscious travelers looking to explore South America. From the pristine glaciers of Patagonia to the sprawling Iguazú Falls, this country has something for everyone.
Argentina is committed to sustainable tourism, with a number of initiatives in place to protect the environment. For example, the country has banned single-use plastics and set up a nationwide system of recycling centers. Visitors can also expect to find plenty of green accommodations and tour options.
Brazil is often thought of as a natural wonderland, and for good reason. With the Amazon rainforest making up a large part of the country, it’s easy to see why this would be high on any green traveler’s list.
In addition to its natural beauty, Brazil is also home to some of the most vibrant and welcoming people on earth. From the lively city of Rio de Janeiro to the quieter beaches of Bahia, there’s something for everyone in this South American gem.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly destination that has it all, Brazil should be at the top of your list.
If you’re looking for a green travel destination for 2021, consider Colombia. This South American country is home to a variety of natural attractions, including the Amazon rainforest, Coffee Region, and Los Nevados National Park.
Colombia is also working to become a leader in sustainable tourism. The Colombian government has set a goal of becoming carbon-neutral by 2040, and many businesses and organizations are working to support this goal. For example, the Gaviota Coast Conservation Project is working to protect the country’s coastal ecosystems.
If you’re interested in eco-friendly travel, Colombia should be at the top of your list.