Looking for the perfect green travel destination in the USA? Check out our top 10 list, featuring destinations that are eco-friendly, sustainable, and beautiful.
Checkout this video:
What makes a green travel destination? Some might say it’s a place that is easy to get around without a car. Others might say it’s a destination that has a lot of outdoor activities. And still others might say it’s a place where you can find environmentally-friendly accommodations and dining options.
Whatever your definition, there are plenty of green travel destinations in the United States. Here are 10 of the best, in no particular order:
1. San Francisco, California – San Francisco is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the U.S., with over 200 miles of bike lanes and paths. The city also has great public transportation options, including the iconic cable cars.
2. Seattle, Washington – Seattle is another bike-friendly city, with over 100 miles of bike lanes and trails. The city also has an excellent public transportation system, including buses and light rail.
3. Portland, Oregon – Like San Francisco and Seattle, Portland is also a great city for biking, with over 200 miles of bike lanes and trails. The city also has excellent public transportation, including buses and light rail.
4. Boulder, Colorado – Boulder is a mecca for outdoor lovers, with hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails, plus dozens of parks and open spaces. The city also has an environmental conscience, with many green businesses and organizations.
5. Glacier National Park, Montana – Glacier National Park is one of the most beautiful places in the country, with towering mountains, pristine lakes, and abundant wildlife. The park also has many environmentally-friendly initiatives, such as using recycled materials in its visitor centers.
6. Acadia National Park, Maine – Acadia National Park is another beautiful destination that is perfect for nature lovers. The park has many hiking trails as well as bicycle paths that wind through forests and along coastline cliffs. Acadia also has an impressive environmental record, having been designated as a carbon-neutral national park by the U
The Top 10 Green Travel Destinations in the USA
The exact definition of “green travel” is difficult to pin down, but it generally includes any kind of travel that has a low impact on the environment. This can mean anything from choosing public transportation over renting a car, to staying in eco-friendly accommodations, to eating local food.
There are countless green travel destinations all over the world, but if you’re looking for some great options in the United States, check out our list of the top 10 green travel destinations below.
1. San Francisco, California
2. Portland, Oregon
3. Seattle, Washington
4. Boulder, Colorado
5. Asheville, North Carolina
6. Maine Coast
7. The Adirondacks, New York
8. The Catskills, New York
9. Door County, Wisconsin
1. Maui, Hawaii
1. Maui, Hawaii – With its pristine beaches, lush jungles, and crystal clear waters, Maui offers travelers an escape to paradise. The island is also home to a number of sustainable hotels and resorts that are committed to protecting the environment.
2. Olympic National Park, Washington – Olympic National Park is a mecca for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The park is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country, and its commitment to sustainability makes it a perfect green travel destination.
3. Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming – As one of the first national parks in the country, Yellowstone is a true pioneer in sustainable tourism practices. The park is home to some of the most iconic wildlife in America, and its efforts to preserve this natural wonder make it a top green travel destination.
4. Acadia National Park, Maine – Acadia National Park is one of the most popular tourist destinations in New England. The park’s picturesque scenery and commitment to environmental protection make it a top choice for green travelers.
5. Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming – Grand Teton National Park is another top destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The park’s dramatic landscapes and wildlife make it a must-see for any green traveler.
6. Zion National Park, Utah – Zion National Park is a stunning example of America’s natural beauty. The park’s efforts to protect its fragile ecosystem make it a model for sustainable tourism practices.
7. Arches National Park, Utah – Arches National Park is one of the best places in the country to see America’s natural wonders. The park’s commitment to environmental protection makes it a perfect destination for sustainable travelers.
8. Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee/North Carolina – Great Smoky Mountains National Park is world-renowned for its spectacular views and diverse wildlife. The park’s efforts to maintain its ecological integrity make it a top destination for green travelers.
2. San Francisco, California
San Francisco is widely considered one of the most picturesque and exciting cities in America, and it’s no wonder – between the hilly landscape, the Golden Gate bridge, and the city’s vibrant energy, there’s something for everyone in San Francisco.
But what makes San Francisco one of the top green travel destinations in the U.S.? For starters, more than half of all trips made in San Francisco are done on foot, by bike, or via public transportation. The city also has an extensive network of parks and green spaces, making it easy to get some fresh air even in the heart of downtown.
If you’re looking for a sustainable and exciting travel destination, San Francisco should definitely be at the top of your list!
3. Santa Monica, California
Situated on the beautiful Californian coast, Santa Monica is a renowned green travel destination. With over 3 miles of sandy beaches, an array of shopping and dining options, and plenty of activities and attractions, there’s something for everyone in Santa Monica.
The city is committed to sustainable living, and has been recognized as one of the most eco-friendly cities in the USA. Travelers can enjoy exploring Santa Monica’s many green spaces, including Palisades Park with stunning ocean views, or take a leisurely stroll along the famous Santa Monica Pier.
If you’re looking for some thrills, don’t miss out on a ride on the world-famous Pacific Wheel – the tallest solar-powered Ferris wheel in the world! Or jump on board the Santa Monica Open Top Bus Tour for a unique way to see all that this vibrant city has to offer.
4. Seattle, Washington
Seattle, Washington is one of the most progressive and eco-friendly cities in the United States. With a strong commitment to sustainability, Seattle has a number of green initiatives in place that make it a great destination for eco-conscious travelers. The city has an extensive public transportation system that includes buses, light rail, and streetcars. It also has a large network of bike lanes and is working towards becoming a completely bike-friendly city. In addition to its sustainable transportation options, Seattle is home to a number of green buildings, including the Bullitt Center, which is one of the most energy-efficient office buildings in the world.
5. Portland, Oregon
With its green parks, museums and other cultural attractions, Portland, Oregon is a great destination for travelers interested in eco-friendly vacations. The city is home to the nation’s largest urban wildlife park, the Audubon Society of Portland, as well as the Hoyt Arboretum. Visitors can also take part in a variety of green activities such as biking, hiking and kayaking.
6. Boulder, Colorado
Boulder, Colorado is one of the top green travel destinations in the USA. The city has a commitment to sustainability, with a goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2050. Boulder has a lot to offer visitors, including beautiful scenery, a lively downtown, and plenty of outdoor activities.
7. Austin, Texas
Austin, Texas is a great green travel destination for a number of reasons. First, the city has a strong commitment to sustainability, with a goal of becoming the nation’s number one green city by 2020. Second, there are plenty of green spaces to enjoy in Austin, including over 200 parks and greenbelts. Third, the city is home to a number of environmentally-friendly businesses and organizations. And fourth, Austin is a great place to walk or bike, with over 300 miles of trails and paths to explore. So if you’re looking for a green vacation destination, be sure to add Austin, Texas to your list!
8. Boston, Massachusetts
One of the most historic and stylish cities in the United States, Boston is a great destination for a green vacation. With a convenient public transportation system, plenty of parks and green spaces, and a commitment to sustainability, Boston is a great place to explore while being eco-friendly.
9. Chicago, Illinois
The Windy City is well known for its skyscrapers, deep-dish pizza, and hot dogs, but it’s also a top destination for sustainable travel. Visitors can explore the city’s many green spaces, including Millennium Park, Lincoln Park Zoo, and the 606 Trail. If you’re looking to go beyond the city limits, the Chicago area is home to several national parks, including the Cook County Forest Preserves. Public transportation is plentiful in Chicago, making it easy to get around without a car. When it comes to accommodations, there are plenty of eco-friendly hotels and Airbnbs to choose from.
10. New York City, New York
Named one of the top 10 green travel destinations in the USA by Frommer’s Travel Guides, New York City offers an array of activities and attractions for the environmentally conscious traveler. With a variety of mass transit options, including one of the country’s most extensive subway systems, getting around New York is easy and efficient. The city also boasts a number of green spaces, including Central Park, Prospect Park, and Battery Park. In addition to its many parks, New York is home to a number of energy-efficient and sustainable buildings, including the Empire State Building and One World Trade Center.