U.S. Green Card Holders Can Now Travel to Canada

U.S. Green Card Holders Can Now Travel to Canada – Find out the requirements and how to apply for a travel authorization.

Checkout this video:

Applying for a Green Card

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) can now travel to Canada for leisure or business without a visa. If you are a green card holder, you will need to present your green Card and a valid passport when you arrive in Canada. You may also need to present other documents, such as a work permit or proof of student status.

The Green Card Process

The United States and Canada have different immigration policies, but both countries have a process by which certain foreign nationals can become permanent residents. In the United States, this is known as getting a green card.

In order to get a green card, you must first meet a number of eligibility requirements. These requirements vary depending on your country of origin, your employment status, and your family ties to the United States. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will need to complete an application and submit it to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be issued a green card. This card allows you to live and work in the United States indefinitely. You will also be able to travel to and from the United States with relative ease.

If you are a green card holder, you may eventually decide that you want to become a citizen of the United States. This is a separate process that requires its own set of eligibility requirements and applications. Once you become a citizen, you will be allowed to vote in elections, hold elected office, and enjoy all of the other rights and privileges that come with citizenship.

Green Card Eligibility

As of May 1, 2017, U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) are eligible to apply for the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.

A permanent resident is someone who has been given conditional or unconditional permission to live in Canada indefinitely by immigration authorities. A permanent resident is not a Canadian citizen, and may lose their status if they leave Canada for an extended period of time, commit certain serious crimes or do not meet the conditions of their residency.

The eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to or transiting through Canada by air. It is electronically linked to your passport and allows you to travel to Canada for short-term purposes such as tourism, business meetings or studies. The eTA comes into effect on September 29, 2016.

If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you do not need a visa to enter Canada. However, you will need an eTA if you plan to fly there.

Traveling on a Green Card

As of June 1, 2009, holders of U.S. Green Cards are now able to travel to Canada without a visa. This new rule applies to all nationalities of Green Card holders, including those from countries that previously required a visa to enter Canada, such as China and India.

In order to take advantage of this new rule, Green Card holders must have a valid passport from their country of citizenship, as well as their Green Card. They will also need to show proof of onward travel from Canada, such as an airline ticket or itinerary. For more information on this new rule, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Green Card Renewal

U.S. Green Card holders are now able to travel to Canada, as long as they have a valid passport. This change in policy comes as a result of the Canadian government’s decision to lift the visa requirements for U.S. citizens.

The new policy will allow Green Card holders to travel to Canada for business or tourism for up to six months at a time. Those who wish to stay for longer periods of time will need to apply for a work or study permit.

Canadian officials have said that the new policy is meant to simplify the process for legitimate travelers and that the change is not in response to any specific security concerns.

Green Card Replacement

The United States and Canada have reached an agreement that will allow U.S. green card holders to travel to Canada without a visa. The agreement will come into effect on December 1, 2016.

U.S. green card holders will need to apply for a new card called the Green Card Replacement, which will be valid for travel to Canada for up to five years. The replacement card will cost $50 and can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s website.

Canadian officials say the agreement will make it easier for people who live in border communities to travel back and forth between the two countries.

Green Card Fees

As of June 1, 2019, U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) will no longer be required to pay the $7 fee for a Green Card. The Green Card is an identification card that proves one’s legal status as a permanent resident in the United States.

The Canadian government has also waived the visa requirement for U.S. citizens and green card holders, meaning that they will not need a visa to enter Canada. However, they will still need to meet all other entry requirements, such as having a valid passport and sufficient funds for their stay.

Green Card for Spouses

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents may sponsor their spouses for a Green Card (U.S. permanent residence). A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

Green Card for Children

If you are a green card holder, your children may be eligible to travel with you to Canada. In order to do so, they must have a valid passport and an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. You can apply for their I-94 online or at the time of entry into Canada.

Green Card for Parents

The United States and Canada have reached an agreement that will allow parents of young children who are lawful permanent residents of the United States (“green card” holders) to apply for a special travel document that will permit them to visit Canada without first obtaining a visa.

The process for applying for the travel document, called the “Parental Travel Document,” is similar to the process for applying for a regular tourist visa. The Parental Travel Document will be valid for up to five years, and will allow the holder to enter Canada multiple times. The holder of a Parental Travel Document will also be able to apply for entry into the United States using the document. However, as with all travelers seeking entry into the United States, each individual’s admissibility will be determined by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry.

The Parental Travel Document program is currently available only to Canadian citizens or lawful permanent residents who have children under the age of 18 who are green card holders. The program is not available to parents of children who are U.S. citizens or Canadian citizens.

Scroll to Top